Playing the jazz piano is not so hard, but it requires focus, interest, and passion. If you are addicted to piano music and also want to play it on your own. You need to learn to play the jazz piano and show your complete interest. So, are you exploring how to learn jazz piano or wondering how to play it without any teacher?
The first thing is that you need to learn from experts because without learning you can’t play the jazz piano. The second thing is that you have no need to join physical classes to learn jazz piano because there are hundreds of online guides and programs that teach you to learn piano like experts.
Jump To Heading
- 1 How To Learn Jazz Piano For Beginners – Important Steps:
- 2 What Are The Jazz Music Styles?
- 3 Beginner’s Jazz Piano First Exercise
- 4 Beginner Jazz Piano Second Exercise Triplet Line
- 5 Conclusion
How To Learn Jazz Piano For Beginners – Important Steps:
In this beginner’s guide, we will provide you with some techniques and steps to playing jazz piano without anyone’s help. You just need to follow these beginner steps/guides and increase your interest in learning. The helpful steps are as follows:
Step 1: Learn Some Jazz Tunes
In the beginning, you have to learn some jazz tunes because these will help you to play the piano well. Also, you need to focus on easy jazz tunes like Misty, Fly Me To The Moon, Satin Doll, All The Things You Are, etc. These easy-to-learn jazz tunes will help you to start playing jazz piano so quickly and perfectly.
Step 2: Need To Understand Aural Tradition
The aural tradition is necessary and will be helpful to play the piano so well. The simple is that you have to play your favorite album and hear it carefully. After listening to the music 3,4 times, you need to focus on your favorite lines and listen to those lines on repeat. No need to understand the whole album because your favorite 3-4 lines will be enough.
Step 3: Learn Jazz Piano Chords
To play the jazz piano like a professional, you have to learn some basics, and then you can easily move to the hard steps. Hence, you can learn some jazz piano chords that are most important to playing the piano.
First of all, you can use 7th chords as opposed to triads and note them down. Then you can easily build a 7th chord of the degree of the major scale such as:
- 1st scale degree: Major 7th chord
- 2nd scale degree: Minor 7th chord
- 3rd scale degree: Minor 7th chord
- 4th scale degree: Major 7th chord
- 5th scale degree: Dominant 7th chord
- 6th scale degree: Minor 7th chord
- 7th scale degree: Minor 7b5 chord
The C major scale is C-D-E-F-G-A-B and in a musical way, you can build the chords like this. The musical example is as follows:
- First degree: C maj7
- Second degree: D maj7
- Third degree: E min7
- Fourth degree: F maj7
- Fifth degree: G7
- Sixth degree: A min 7
- Seventh degree: B minor 7b5.
Step 4: Learn To Acquire Some Jazz Vocabulary
To play jazz piano, you need to learn how to acquire jazz vocabulary. Because it is the most essential step and you can’t play piano without learning its vocabulary. You have to start with the common jazz chords and learn them from jazz masters.
Such as Red Garland lick, Barry Harris licks, Charlie Parker lick, Bill Evans lick, etc. You can learn 2-5-1 (D, G, C) chord progression, chord inversion (G B D F), 2-5-1-1 chord progression, Gospel Scale (C D Eb E G A), etc.
Step 5: Start Exercise
After the four steps of learning, you can now start exercises to play the jazz piano. If you have learned everything carefully and also followed your master, then you will play the piano better in beginning. Just you have to try hard, put effort, and focus on the chords.
You will be a better jazz piano player within a few days. As experts say that “practice makes a man perfect” you can become a jazz piano expert after a lot of exercises/practice.
What Are The Jazz Music Styles?
There are four jazz music styles that you need to learn, analyze, understand, and then play during exercises. These are as follows:
- Jazz Ballads
- Jazz Swing
- Latin Jazz
Beginner’s Jazz Piano First Exercise
In the beginning, you have to learn an 8th note line that is important and shifts between Grip 1 and Grip 2. Start playing jazz piano by following the steps, these are as follows:
- First Chord: There are two chords and you can play Grip 1 in this sequence like Eb E G Eb E G E.
- Second Chord: There is a total of five chords and you can switch to Grip 2 in this sequence like Eb D C A Eb D C A.
- Third Chord: There is only one chord and you can play a short phrase like C C A.
- Fourth Chord: There is only one chord and you can play a short phrase A C D C Eb D C.
Beginner Jazz Piano Second Exercise Triplet Line
You can improvise the 8th note and start exercising triplet lines such as:
- First Chord: To play Grip 1 you have to follow the sequence like D# E G D# E G D# E G E.
- Second Chord: There is a total of five chords where you have to switch to Grip 2 in the following sequence like Eb D C Eb D C Eb D C A.
- Third Chord: You have to follow the sequence C D C D C A C D C D C A.
- Fourth Chord: There is only one chord that plays a short phrase and the sequence is C D C D C A C.
You can easily learn the jazz piano and can play it like a professional with a few days of exercise. But learning, exercising, and focusing is the key to success that will help to achieve your goal.
All the chords, easiest steps, learning guides, important points, and master’s guides are provided in this article. There is nothing difficult or impossible because the playing methods and exercises steps are defined well.
So, if you are wondering How To Learn Jazz Piano and how to play without attending physical classes or sessions. This informative article is helpful for you to know the basics and important steps for beginners.